The Challenge was to use two fat quarters of fabric (18″ X 22″) – one printed and one solid fabric and nothing else.
I decided on a kaleidoscope block pattern because it would really be able to show off the print.
Initially thought I would made a small runner, but it kept growing. Till I had 8 pairs of `half blocks ready for a 4X2 runner. But I had fabric left over for a ninth block and a 3X3 square runner!
Here are some pics of the various options I tried out
1. I made 8 blocks and thought I would use the print itself in the centre. I tried two ways of putting them together – but did not care for either – because the secondary pattern (the circle was not really emerging
2. So, I decided to make another pair of kaleidoscope half-blocks and explore another option
3. But I still had fabric leftover and decided to emphasize the secondary circle and finished the blocks – and use this setting.
Here the secondary patterns can be clearly seen. I love this!
So now I wanted to quilt this and bind it and not submit it as a tablecloth for the March 12 Challenge. And I set out on a new project!
So, early the other morning, as I was about to enter my kitchen, I was stopped in my tracks by something on the door frame.
Rush to get a duster? Not me! I did dash…to get my camera to capture this !
Gossamer – what a lovely word it is, too. Just delicately rolls off your tongue .. gossamer…
So is `cobweb’ a lovely word …like a long forgotten dream that tries to surface from the past…tugged at by something in the present …
This web reminded me of another web I had photographed a few years ago … equally intricate.
This was taken when we visited Bhagirath Place (or is it Palace? In Delhi one is never sure)…
This is in Old Delhi – North India’s biggest market for electrical items. The shops in this market, I presume, get their electricity supply through this (illegal?) `web’work. As necessary for their livelihood as the spider’s is for its own!
Once upon a time, I thought I wanted to paint and sketch all my life. I joined some summer painting classes and learnt to do oils.
But then, school and college happened. Again, while in college, I joined a correspondence course, where I learnt to sketch in ink. That was very exciting – I think I have the `assignments’ lying around somewhere. Shall dig them out and may be upload them.
Again life intervened; this time it was a husband, a job and children.
In 1997, I had this great urge to start painting again. I had given up my job to take care of my daughter – that was a full time job. But the itch to paint was so strong that I would paint with her in my lap or between chores.
Since I had not learnt how to use water colours, and oils/ canvas/brushes were exorbitantly priced – I painted with poster colours, using them like oils. Later, when I did buy proper water colours, I continued to paint with them like one would with oils! After having spent a year in Kishangarh, I was influenced by the miniature style, so I enjoyed using detailing in my work.
I gifted away many paintings, even sold some – making about 30-35 paintings in 2 years. And then, as suddenly, I stopped.
May be, one day, the painter’s soul shall come back to stay with me.
My FB quilting group is having a challenge. Use only 2 fat quarters – one print and one solid – and nothing else – to make a quilt.
So my stash is out. Does it speak to you? Does it tell you what to do?
And some greens and browns
But this is what I think my final choice will be from! And I also think I know what I am going to do:)
The quilt started on New Year’s day and new blocks come up every 1st and 15th.
Though, mine is not a red and white quilt! I saw this grey printed poplin fabric in Jodhpur in December end and bought 6 metres of it as I thought it would team up well with the indigo blues that I have. Then, I came across this red and white quilt and thought red and grey would be good combo too. So out came an old south cotton dupatta and we were on our way.
Very soon, dawned the realisation that the difference in weights of fabric was not working too well. So, had to buy some red poplin. Anyways, here are my blocks. One to be completed today, and I am ready for the next lot coming out tomorrow.
I shall upload some photos in my next post – there is some prob in getting them all in!