The Quilts of Love…

Five of my ‘sharing’ quilts are done! They all go to little girls who are very, very special. I will tell you more about them and perhaps even share their stories and pictures, once I have the requisite permission. Meanwhile, here are the quilts, the latest first! They are all bagged, stuffed with carded cottonwool and quilted by a traditional ‘tagai wala‘ – quilt maker. This kind of quilt is called a lihaaf  or razai in this part of the world.

You can read more about traditional North Indian quilts and quilt makers here!

Quilt#5/2018 Riddhi’s Quilt

I always wanted to make the Granny Square block but never got around to it! Here is a giant one, made with 9″ square pieces and framed in a chevron border made with alternating HSTs.

Quilts of love
The giant granny square in the centre finishes at 36″!
That pretty print is from a strip of fabric left over from a kurta I stitched for myself more than thirty years ago!

Quilt#4/2018 Sonali’s Quilt

…the one with the giant pinwheels. Again, I used fabric left over from dress-making!

Pink and green pinwheels, so perfect for a six-year old little girl!
I love the cuddly look the quilting gives it.

Quilt#3/2018 Annu’s quilt

This was the only one for which I cut up new fabric from my stash…
How pretty that soft mint green backing is!

is now with its owner! I already showed you pics of the top made with the double Disappearing Nine-Patch block. Here it is, all quilted!

Quilt#2 Mahima’s Quilt –

You have seen pictures of this quilt top too! I backed it with an old Ikat dupatta (stole) and the tagaiwala did the rest! Four year old Mahima absolutely loved it! I do wish I had made it slightly bigger, though!

An ikat dupatta from more than twenty years ago makes up the backing of this second finish of the year!
Fabric from my first ever quilt, made in 2008!

Quilt#1/2018 Siddhi’s Quilt

It made my day, week, month, year to see the happy surprise on the youngest child, Siddhi’s face, when she received her quilt! For me? she asked delightedly! This one is also backed with an Ikat dupatta.

Orphan blocks from my second ever quilt, also started in 2008!
For the backing, another ikat dupatta, so intricately hand-woven.

So those are the first five quilts! One is at the tagaiwala’s. I had planned to make a total of seven quilts originally. But I don’t wish to leave out any of the remaining four girls. So I need  now to decide how to use the scraps in my stash to make those extra quilts! Perhaps I will cut up an old saree?

A New Look for Old Chairs…

We bought these chairs some 34 years ago and it shows! 

The black canvas – stained and faded…

Forlorn, they lie in our (blue) guest room, rarely used by either my husband or me…

The canvas has been nailed on to the wood, about 20 nails, now rusted,  along the frame length of 17″! Trying to pry them out would most likely tear the wood. If I wanted to change the fabric, the best option would be to let the black canvas stay and add fresh fabric over and across it. So that is what I did…

The chairs have new clothes…

I used some indigo dabu ( mud resist block printed) hand-block printed cambric and muslin pieces left over from a quilt I made for my son some nine years ago! The cream muslin is also from the same quilt! It took me about 3 hours to cut and sew the eight  7.5″ log cabin blocks. (Can you believe that this is the first log cabin block project I have ever sewn? ) I then added a 1″ border on the top and bottom to increase the length to the required 17″ and added 4.5″ strips on either side to wrap around frame of the chair back.

The polybatting was also leftover 18″ lengths from a previous project! I quilted the front(s) with a simple stitch in the ditch,  and strengthened the ‘wrap’ width with straight line quilting. Binding done – all that was need was fixing it to the chairs. I glued the rough side of Velcro strips to the back of frame, and sewed the ‘fuzzy’ strips to the quilted pieces. So here we are…the chairs have their new quilted backs…

The new ‘back’ is stretched over the old canvas, to the back and fastened with Velcro strips.

It took me about six hours in all, beginning on Wednesday and finishing today, Sunday, to complete the project ( if I don’t add the time to visit the market to buy Velcro strips!)

I do think I need to get back to my various UFOs ( unfinished objects) and PHDs ( projects half done) now. But before that, I have one more, not so quick project to begin and finish!