Time now to give the study area a makeover. Changing the beige furnishings for a bright modern turquoise green ( it looks more like aqua in these pics; it isn’t!) contrasted with black and white modern prints…
Cathedral windows, again, and using the traditional method too! ( I made a small table runner almost five years ago using this method and did a tutorial in two parts…) This time, I had made up my mind to stitch the blocks entirely by machine, but I finally resorted to hand sewing the few stitches in the centre (after folding in the background square)after getting very wonky results by machine on the first few! There are more learnings from this quilt, I will share them soon.
I also added a contrasting white square inside the second fold of the background turquoise, so that the white popped out of the ‘petalled’ window ‘frame’. I am sewing cushion covers in the reverse colour scheme to place on a bench sitting across the room from this table. The tops are ready, the covers will be sewn once I am back from my summer vacation. ( I am getting away on Wednesday morning to the cool, green Himalayas for a week; far, far away from my dusty city which seethes at 45 degree Celsius!)
The table was 58″ x 14.5″ so I worked on a 3 x 15 configuration of blocks just under 5″. For that I began with 10″ squares. However, after sewing, the final quilt turned out to be just 45″ x 13.5″! Is it because I haven’t ironed the final quilt flat?
The solids are Umaid Mills poplins and the print, if I remember correctly, is Cosmopolitan by Benartex.
Did you notice, my Palat! miniquilt is framed? Till I find an appropriate place to hang or place it, it rests on this table.
I love to hear from you all, so do tell me what you think of my modern ‘traditional’ cathedral windows!
This was a runner I completed exactly 4 years ago (to the date!), my first attempt at paper piecing. I used flannel as batting and a polycotton as backing. The binding was 1″ wide, in 4 pieces – one for each side of the runner. Its edges were folded in and it was attached like a piping, one single stitch line to put it together. It wasn’t quilted either, but I was very proud of it!
Over time, the pieced top shrank, the flannel shrank even more and the backing remained unmoved.
About two years ago, I took apart the 3 layers and there they lay, till yesterday when I decided to practice some ‘serious’ ( by my standards) free motion quilting on it. Now, the flannel batting and the backing have both moved and are about 1/2″ short!
Tuesday and Wednesday are my days for working on my Nearly Insane block patterns. On Thursday and Friday I work on other new projects. So I will get back to this on Saturday. Meanwhile, please admire my micro stippling and of course, my feathers. I used the ‘bump’ method to make them.
I changed to my expensive thread midway through this and after that everything moved like a dream! I hadn’t quite believed it when I read it, but using good quality thread does make a massive difference to how your quilting looks! Not that that makes me happy. It only means my hobby becomes even more expensive. Perhaps I should start selling my patterns now…Unless people are willing to send Aurifil thread to me in exchange for my patterns?
I wish I could quilt half as well! I started off pretty well, quilting this on my little Brother, with the feed dogs up and stitch length set at 0. But then, soon I ran into all kinds of problems.
Tried several solutions suggested by fellow quilters on my online quilting group, with no improvement. What worked finally was lowering the feed dogs. (I have left the back looking like this! Too lazy to rip it and re-do it!)
The front doesn’t look bad at all. Here is a close up.
A long- shot of the back…
The colours are not very accurate in these pictures, so I took a couple of photos outside on the terrace, too.
I now move on to my next UFO, a king size quilt top waiting to be quilted for over five years! I am dreading the basting part – as I have run out of my basting spray, not available here! But first, I have to get the backing together. I am planning to quilt it only very lightly – while I gather the will to get going, please admire the quilting pattern, if not the actual execution!